Monday, March 4, 2013

Pregnancy photo shoot

I was on craigslist one day and a lady was looking for pregnant women in their 3rd trimester to practice maternity shoots for her portfolio. She would do the shoot for free! Hey, that sounds fun and it is something I would not pay for because I don't have extra money laying around right now. So I e-mailed her. She had a list of women that responded and she would choose from. She asked if I would want another person (husband or child) in the pictures too. I said, well, if you wanted a husband to practice with too then sure but, I also have a sister who is pregnant. She got right back to me wanting to schedule something with the both of us! So I called Kristi that day and said "hey guess what Kristi, I signed us up for free maternity pictures. What day are you available!" Haha!
It turned out to be really fun! Kristi was 33 weeks and I was 29 weeks along.
We did a lot of different poses and clothing changes but I guess those must have not turned out well because I didn't see any of them. That's ok because guess what, these were free!

When Kristi and I were doing these poses, wholly cow, we had the fit of the giggles! We could not stop laughing!
And here is Kristi's solo shots!
We are excited to have the babies so close! And it is coming up so soon that our little additions to the family will be here! Thanks Kristi, for going along with me!

Changing Table change up

Rillz and I got a changing table for $50 off craigslist. It was the type of style we really wanted. But, didn't totally match our crib. And we set a strict budget of $50 for the changing table so realistically finding one that matched our crib in our budget wasn't going to happen.
The top and knobs were painted a dark blue. Something I could have lived with but since I am not working right now I have a lot of time on my hands and decided to give it a make over.

The first day of trying to strip the paint I just about gave up. Stripping the varnish/paint and sanding was not going anywhere fast and I wanted to give up fast! Fortunately, there is an amazing invention called a sander. Duh. So we got a sander and, wow, progress happened before my eyes!

Trying to come up with a matching stain was quite the chore. I did a bunch of sample combinations using different stains for different amounts of times and then mixing them together. The end result of stain color is close enough for me.

The knobs I LOVE! I am so excited about them and feel so crafty to have made them work. Kristi had given me this cute fabric she had around her house from Hawaii. The pictures on it were cute and small. So I took button covers (a little kit at Jo-Anns that helps you create your own buttons with fabric) and decided I would somehow attach those to the knobs on the dresser. But, the buttons were not big enough to cover the knobs so I headed to Home Depot to look for new knobs. I didn't realize how expensive knobs were so being cheap my eyes automatically went to the price tags and I found the cheapest knob to see if it would work. I couldn't believe it! It was like the knobs were literally created for button covers. I didn't even have to glue or alter the button or knob. The button just snapped right on top of the knob. I was, and still am, thrilled!

So here is the changed up changing table!
The top isn't perfectly matched but better then the blue! And I wasn't about to strip and stain the whole changing table to "match".

 Finished product